GuteCMS is an open source CMS web application for hosting web sites on Google App Engine.
It is primarily intended for nonprofit organizations and early stage social entrepreneurs, but should be useful for other purposes as well.
This application is in very early stage, barely 0.1. It allows authorized users to create and edit web pages by using raw HTML, the bare minimum to demonstrate the concept of hosting editable web sites on Google App Engine.
The source code is available under the Apache License 2.0.
Using GuteCMS to host your web site on Google App Engine, in a nutshell:
- Download and install the Google App Engine (GAE) SDK
- Get the GuteCMS code from Google Code or Github
- Edit app.yaml to configure the name of your copy of the application
- Start the development GAE server
- Go to http://localhost:8080/edit and log in as the administrator
- Follow the "Pages" link and add HTML content for a page at the URL "/". Content will be inserted inside the element.
- Go to http://localhost:8080/ and view your content
- Got back to http://localhost:8080/edit and follow the "Roles" link to grant other users permission to edit content ("Editor" role) or manage users ("Manager" role)
- To modify the CSS or HTML templates, look under "style" and "html" directories respectively in the gutecms code directory.
If you wanted to put this into production:
- Register the name for your copy of the web site application with GAE
- Deploy your copy of the application to GAE
- Register a domain name and point it to your site
The intent was to incrementally add features to evolve from a crude editing mechanism to a sophisticated content management system.
I may or may not return to make this little toy more useful.
See AlsoSimilar projects targeting the Google App Engine platform:
- Stout Public House, a bar in San Diego (web site, source code)
- cpedialog, blog with some ability to edit individual pages
- Bloog, fairly complete blog
- Rocket Seat, another CMS under development
- Niubi using Django, with some text and comments in an Asian character set
- Nuages CMS for photographers
- cccwiki, one of the GAE example apps